Current:Home > FinanceOklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row -Streamline Finance
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 15:35:53
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Oklahoma’s Pardon and Parole Board voted 3-2 on Wednesday to recommend the governor spare the life of a man on death row for his role in the 1992 shooting death of a convenience store owner during a robbery.
The board’s narrow decision means the fate of Emmanuel Littlejohn, 52, now rests with Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt, who could commute his sentence to life in prison without parole. Stitt has granted clemency only once, in 2021, to death row inmate Julius Jones, commuting his sentence to life without parole just hours before Jones was scheduled to receive a lethal injection. Stitt has denied clemency recommendations from the board in three other cases: Bigler Stouffer, James Coddington and Phillip Hancock, all of whom were executed.
“I’m not giving up,” Littlejohn’s sister, Augustina Sanders, said after the board’s vote. “Just spare my brother’s life. He’s not the person they made him out to be.”
Stitt’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the board’s decision, but Stitt has previously said he and his staff meet with attorneys for both sides, as well as family members of the victim, before deciding a case in which clemency has been recommended.
Littlejohn was sentenced to death by two separate Oklahoma County juries for his role in the shooting death of 31-year-old Kenneth Meers, who was co-owner of the Root-N-Scoot convenience store in southeast Oklahoma City.
Prosecutors said Littlejohn and a co-defendant, Glenn Bethany, robbed the store to get money to pay a drug debt and that Littlejohn, who had a lengthy criminal history and had just been released from prison, shot Meers after he emerged from the back of the store carrying a broom.
Assistant Attorney General Tessa Henry said two teenagers who were working with Meers in the store both described Littlejohn as the shooter.
“Both boys were unequivocal that Littlejohn was the one with the gun and that Bethany didn’t have a gun,” she told the panel.
Bethany was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Littlejohn, who testified before the panel via a video feed from the Oklahoma State Penitentiary, apologized to Meers’ family and acknowledged his role in the robbery, but denied firing the fatal shot.
“I’ve admitted to my part,” Littlejohn said. “I committed a robbery that had devastating consequences, but I didn’t kill Mr. Meers.
“Neither Oklahoma nor the Meers family will be better if you decide to kill me.”
Littlejohn’s attorneys argued that killings resulting from a robbery are rarely considered death penalty cases in Oklahoma and that prosecutors today would not have pursued the ultimate punishment.
Attorney Caitlin Hoeberlein said robbery murders make up less than 2% of Oklahoma death sentences and that the punishment hasn’t been handed down in a case with similar facts in more than 15 years.
“It is evident that Emmanuel would not have been sentenced to death if he’d been tried in 2024 or even 2004,” she said.
Littlejohn was prosecuted by former Oklahoma County District Attorney Bob Macy, who was known for his zealous pursuit of the death penalty and secured 54 death sentences during more than 20 years in office.
Assistant Federal Public Defender Callie Heller said it was problematic that prosecutors argued in both Bethany’s and Littlejohn’s murder cases that each was the shooter. She added that some jurors were concerned whether a life-without-parole sentence meant the defendant would never be released.
“Is it justice for a man to be executed for an act that prosecutors argued another man committed when the evidence of guilt is inconclusive?” she asked.
veryGood! (869)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Repeal of a dead law to use public funds for private school tuition won’t be on Nebraska’s ballot
- Social media slams Harrison Butker for 'sexist' commencement speech: 'You kick a silly little ball'
- South Korean court rejects effort to block plan that would boost medical school admissions
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Former Connecticut budget official arrested on federal charges
- When will Lionel Messi return from leg injury? Here's what we know after draw vs. Orlando
- What to stream this week: Billie Eilish and Zayn Malik albums, ‘Bridgerton,’ and ‘American Fiction’
- Jury finds man guilty of sending 17-year-old son to rob and kill rapper PnB Rock
- Maverick Kentucky congressman has avoided fallout at home after antagonizing GOP leaders
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Clean like a Pro with Shark’s Portable Wet & Dry Vacuum (That’s Also on Sale)
- Judge mulls wrong date of child’s death in triple murder case against Chad Daybell
- Maverick Kentucky congressman has avoided fallout at home after antagonizing GOP leaders
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Federal agency takes control of investigation of fiery train derailment in New Mexico
- Drones smuggled drugs across Niagara River from Canada, 3 suspects caught in NY
- Archaeologists believe they’ve found site of Revolutionary War barracks in Virginia
Recommendation
NCAA President Charlie Baker would be 'shocked' if women's tournament revenue units isn't passed
2 people caught on camera committing alleged archaeological theft at historic 1800s cowboy camp at Utah national park
Donor and consultant convicted again of trying to bribe North Carolina’s insurance commissioner
Transgender girl faces discrimination from a Mississippi school’s dress code, ACLU says
NCAA hands former Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh a 4-year show cause order for recruiting violations
Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed as China stocks get bump from new property measures
Sen. Bob Menendez reveals his wife has breast cancer as presentation of evidence begins at his trial
Victoria Justice speaks out on Dan Schneider, says 'Victorious' creator owes her apology