Current:Home > MyJudge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -Streamline Finance
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 14:26:58
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case, a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Parents see own health spiral as their kids' mental illnesses worsen
- Getting clear prices for hospital care could get easier under a proposed rule
- Arizona Coyotes confirm attempt to purchase land for new arena in Mesa
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Inside Russia's attempts to hack Ukrainian military operations
- Prisoner uses sheets to escape from 5th floor of NYC hospital and hail taxi; he’s still at large
- Average long-term US mortgage rate climbs to 6.96% this week, matching highest level this year
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Going camping or hiking this summer? Consider bringing along these safety products
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Hilary Swank Proves She’s Living Her Best “Cool Mom” Life With Glimpse Inside Birthday Celebration
- 'Ludicrous': John Green reacts after Indiana library removes 'The Fault in Our Stars' from young adult shelf
- Largest Mega Millions jackpot had multiple $1 million winners across the US
- $1 Frostys: Wendy's celebrates end of summer with sweet deal
- Stock market today: Global shares mostly rise as markets brace for US inflation report
- Austin Majors, former child star on 'NYPD Blue,' cause of death ruled as fentanyl toxicity
- Why we love P&T Knitwear, the bookstore that keeps New York's Lower East Side well read
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
Fire on Hawaii's Maui island forces people to jump into water to flee flames
Lahaina Is ‘like a war zone,’ Maui evacuees say
2 robotaxi services seeking to bypass safety concerns and expand in San Francisco face pivotal vote
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Subway offered free subs for life if you changed your name to 'Subway'. 10,000 people volunteered.
ESPN to launch new sports betting platform
Rising flood risks threaten many water and sewage treatment plants across the US