Current:Home > StocksEight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says -Streamline Finance
Eight Israeli soldiers killed in southern Gaza, IDF says
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 05:22:32
The Israel Defense Forces said Saturday that eight soldiers were killed in southern Gaza in the deadliest attack on Israeli forces in months.
The troops were killed in an explosion, the army said, without elaborating. The deaths will likely fuel calls for a cease-fire and heighten Israeli public anger over ultra-Orthodox exemptions from the military.
In January, 21 Israeli troops were killed in a single attack by Palestinian militants in Gaza.
Last month, Israel's Supreme Court ordered an end to government subsidies for many ultra-Orthodox men who don't serve in the army. A new draft law hasn't been passed, but the coalition of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week voted in favor of extending exemptions for religious men. Although the vote was only procedural, it caused an uproar by being approved during a war in which hundreds of soldiers have died and many others remain inside Gaza or on the front lines against Hezbollah militants in Lebanon.
Yoav Gallant, Israel's Defense Minister and member of the country's War Cabinet, has insisted that all sectors of Israeli society should contribute equally during its war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
Israel's coalition government contains a powerful bloc of ultra-Orthodox parties that have been longtime partners of Netanyahu. If these parties leave the government, the country would be forced into new elections, with Netanyahu trailing significantly in the polls amid the war.
In Tel Aviv, anti-government protests have been ongoing for months, with many demonstrators calling for the immediate return of the hostages, along with Netanyahu's resignation.
Israel's bombardment and ground offensives in Gaza have killed more than 37,000 Palestinians, according to Palestinian health officials, who don't give the breakdown of civilians and fighters. The war has also driven about 80% of the population of 2.3 million from their homes, and Israeli restrictions and ongoing fighting have hindered efforts to bring in humanitarian aid, fueling widespread hunger.
Months of cease-fire negotiations have failed to find common ground between Israeli and Hamas. On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that Hamas proposed changes to a U.S.-backed plan, some of which he said were "workable" and some not, without elaborating.
Israel launched its campaign after Hamas and other militants stormed into Israel on Oct. 7, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking around 250 hostage. Over 100 hostages were released during a weeklong cease-fire last year in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Hamas is believed to be holding around 80 hostages and the remains of another 40.
Hamas has continually called for a permanent cease-fire and complete Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza as part of any deal that would see the hostages released. While the proposal announced by U.S. President Joe Biden includes these two provisions, Hamas has expressed concern about whether Israel will commit to them.
Violence has flared in the West Bank since the Israel-Hamas war erupted. On Saturday, a 16-year-old Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli forces near the northern city of Nablus, the Ramallah-based Health Ministry said. The Israeli army didn't immediately respond to request for comment about the shooting.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Rachel Lindsay's Ex Bryan Abasolo Says He Was “Psychologically Beaten Down Before Meeting Divorce Coach
- Shannen Doherty's divorce from Kurt Iswarienko was finalized one day before her death
- Trump pays tribute to Pennsylvania firefighter killed in rally shooting
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Member of eBay security team sentenced in harassment scheme involving bloody Halloween pig mask
- Highlights from the 2024 Republican National Convention
- Outside the RNC, small Milwaukee businesses and their regulars tried to salvage a sluggish week
- Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
- Sophia Bush Shares How Girlfriend Ashlyn Harris Reacted to Being Asked Out
Ranking
- Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s Daughter Shiloh Makes Major Move in Name Change Case
- Tennessee will remove HIV-positive people convicted of sex work from violent sex offender list
- Maryland announces civil lawsuit in case involving demands of sex for rent
- Giants, Lions fined $200K for fights in training camp joint practices
- Pregnant Brittany Mahomes and Patrick Mahomes Reveal Sex of Baby No. 3
- The 31 Best Amazon Deals Right Now: $5 Beauty Products, 55% Off Dresses, 30% Off Laneige & More
- Rare orange lobster, found at Red Lobster, gets cool name and home at Denver aquarium
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Yankees honor late AP photojournalist Kathy Willens with moment of silence before game vs. Rays
Sonya Massey called police for help. A responding deputy shot her in the face.
Jury convicts Honolulu businessman of 13 counts, including murder in aid of racketeering
IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
Meet Keshi, an oncology nurse turned pop star with a massive world tour
A History of Kim Kardashian and Ivanka Trump's Close Friendship
Shannen Doherty's divorce from Kurt Iswarienko was finalized one day before her death