Current:Home > NewsCharles Langston:Ex-gang leader accused of killing Tupac Shakur won’t be released on bond, judge rules -Streamline Finance
Charles Langston:Ex-gang leader accused of killing Tupac Shakur won’t be released on bond, judge rules
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 15:51:20
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A judge on Charles LangstonTuesday again rejected a request to free an ailing former Los Angeles-area gang leader accused in the 1996 killing of hip-hop star Tupac Shakur, saying she suspects a cover-up related to the sources of the funds for his bond.
The decision from Clark District Court Judge Carli Kierny came after an attorney for Duane “Keffe D” Davis said he would provide additional financial records to prove that Davis and the music record executive offering to underwrite his $750,000 bail aren’t planning to reap profits from the sale of Davis’ life story and that the money was legally obtained.
“I have a sense that things are trying to be covered up,” Kierny said, adding that she was left with more questions than answers after receiving two identical letters apparently from the entertainment company that music record executive Cash “Wack 100” Jones says wired him the funds.
Kierny said one of the letters was signed with a name that does not have any ties to the company.
Davis has sought to be released since shortly after his September 2023 arrest, which made him the only person ever to be charged with a crime in a killing that for nearly three decades has drawn intense interest and speculation.
Prosecutors allege that the gunfire that killed Shakur in Las Vegas stemmed from competition between East Coast members of a Bloods gang sect and West Coast groups of a Crips sect, including Davis, for dominance in a genre known at the time as “gangsta rap.”
Kierny previously rejected Davis’ bid to have music executive Cash “Wack 100” Jones put up $112,500 to obtain Davis’ $750,000 bail bond, saying she was not convinced that Davis and Jones weren’t planning to profit. She also said she couldn’t determine if Jones wasn’t serving as a “middleman” on behalf of another unnamed person.
Nevada has a law, sometimes called a “slayer statute,” that prohibits convicted killers from profiting from their crimes.
Jones, who has managed artists including Johnathan “Blueface” Porter and Jayceon “The Game” Taylor, testified in June that he wanted to put up money for Davis because Davis was fighting cancer and had “always been a monumental person in our community ... especially the urban community.”
Davis has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder. Also Tuesday, Kierny pushed back the start of Davis’ trial from Nov. 4 to March 17.
He and prosecutors say he’s the only person still alive who was in a car from which shots were fired into another car nearly 28 years ago, killing Shakur and wounding rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight.
veryGood! (3424)
Related
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Orcas are hunting whale sharks. Is there anything they can't take down?
- 'Unimaginable situation': South Korea endures fallout from martial law effort
- Donald Trump is returning to the world stage. So is his trolling
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- OpenAI releases AI video generator Sora to all customers
- Australian man arrested for starting fire at Changi Airport
- TikTok asks Supreme Court to review ban legislation, content creators react: What to know
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Joe Burrow’s home broken into during Monday Night Football in latest pro
Ranking
- The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
- We can't get excited about 'Kraven the Hunter.' Don't blame superhero fatigue.
- Deadly chocolate factory caused by faulty gas fitting, safety board finds
- Only about 2 in 10 Americans approve of Biden’s pardon of his son Hunter, an AP
- Olympic women's basketball bracket: Schedule, results, Team USA's path to gold
- Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
- Jim Carrey Reveals Money Inspired His Return to Acting in Candid Paycheck Confession
- KISS OF LIFE reflects on sold
Recommendation
Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
Blast rocks residential building in southern China
Mitt Romney’s Senate exit may create a vacuum of vocal, conservative Trump critics
With the Eras Tour over, what does Taylor Swift have up her sleeve next? What we know
Taylor Swift Cancels Austria Concerts After Confirmation of Planned Terrorist Attack
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
Making a $1B investment in the US? Trump pledges expedited permits — but there are hurdles