Current:Home > MyBuckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl' -Streamline Finance
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 00:12:54
LONDON - Buckingham Palace said Friday it would investigate staff working for Britain's royal family following an after-party, which the Sun reported ended in a "punch-up" and "bar brawl."
Workers attended an early evening reception at Buckingham Palace before heading to a nearby bar to carry on the celebrations.
But their partying got out of hand, and police were called "after glasses were hurled and punches thrown," the Sun said.
Buckingham Palace said on Friday that palace officials were aware of an incident which had taken place outside the workplace following a reception at the official London residence of King Charles.
"While this was an informal social gathering, not an official Palace Christmas party, the facts will be fully investigated, with a robust disciplinary process followed in relation to individual staff and appropriate action taken," Buckingham Palace said in a statement.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Rough year for royals
News of the investigation comes against the backdrop of a tumultuous year for the royal family marked by illness and strained relations with Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan, who now reside in America.
Princess Kate announced earlier this year that she had been diagnosed with cancer, following a months-long public (and tabloid) fever about her whereabouts. After undergoing a course of preventative chemotherapy, the princess returned to royal duties, helping to share the workload with King Charles, who revealed his own cancer diagnosis in February, and Queen Camilla, who has been intermittently ill.
Princess Kate offers rare commenton 'challenging' year at Christmas concert
Meanwhile, across the pond, Harry and Meghan are locked in a number of legal battles with British publishers. The trial with Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers, whom they are suing over phone hacking and illegally obtaining medical records, is expected to kick off in the coming weeks.
Contributing: Anna Kaufman, USA TODAY
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (31761)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- FTC issuing over $5.6 million in refunds after settlement with security company Ring
- Untangling Taylor Swift’s and Matty Healy’s Songs About Each Other
- Planning on retiring at 65? Most Americans retire far earlier — and not by choice.
- Golf's No. 1 Nelly Korda looking to regain her form – and her spot on the Olympic podium
- Tornadoes destroy homes in Nebraska as severe storms tear across Midwest
- Ellen DeGeneres breaks silence on talk show's 'devastating' end 2 years ago: Reports
- Tornadoes collapse buildings and level homes in Nebraska and Iowa
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Champions League-chasing Aston Villa squanders two-goal lead in draw with Chelsea
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- NASCAR at Dover race 2024: Start time, TV, live stream, lineup for Würth 400
- Eminem teases new album, ‘The Death of Slim Shady'
- Mississippi Senate agrees to a new school funding formula, sending plan to the governor
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Harvey Weinstein Hospitalized After 2020 Rape Conviction Overturned
- Tornadoes kill 2 in Oklahoma as governor issues state of emergency for 12 counties amid storm damage
- Bengals address needs on offensive and defensive lines in NFL draft, add a receiver for depth
Recommendation
Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
Banana Republic Factory’s Spring Sale Is Here With up to 70% off Colorful Spring Staples & More
News anchor Poppy Harlow announces departure from CNN
Retired pro wrestler, failed congressional candidate indicted in Vegas murder case
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Amazon nearing deal to stream NBA games in next media rights deal, per report
Republic First Bank closes, first FDIC-insured bank to fail in 2024
Tornadoes destroy homes in Nebraska as severe storms tear across Midwest