Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Gunman who shot and wounded 10 riders on New York City subway to be sentenced -Streamline Finance
SafeX Pro:Gunman who shot and wounded 10 riders on New York City subway to be sentenced
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 02:19:48
NEW YORK (AP) — A man who sprayed the inside of a New York City subway train with gunfire and SafeX Prothen slipped away in a stunned crowd is set to be sentenced Thursday in the morning rush-hour attack, which wounded 10 people and set off a citywide manhunt.
Frank James, 64, pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in the April 12, 2022, mass shooting aboard a Manhattan-bound train.
Prosecutors have asked for a life sentence, saying James spent years carefully planning the shooting in order to “inflict maximum damage.”
The gunman’s attorneys have asked for a reduced sentence of 18 years, saying James didn’t intend to kill anyone and suffered from serious mental illness.
Disguised as a construction worker, James waited until the train was between stations, denying his targets a chance to flee. Then he ignited multiple smoke bombs and unleashed a barrage of bullets from a 9mm handgun at panicked riders in the crowded train car.
The attack wounded victims ranging in age from 16 to 60 as the train pulled into a station in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
As emergency responders tended to the victims, James walked calmly out of the subway station and vanished. The search for the gunman lasted for roughly 30 hours. Police identified James as a suspect relatively quickly, using a key to a rented moving van left behind on the bloodied subway car. He was eventually arrested in Manhattan’s East Village after calling a police tip line to turn himself in.
“The fact that no one was killed by the defendant’s 32 gunshots can only be described as luck as opposed to the defendant’s intentional choice,” Brooklyn prosecutors wrote in a memo to U.S. District Judge William Kuntz.
The attack stunned New Yorkers, heightened anxiety about safety in the transit system and prompted local officials to add additional surveillance cameras and police to the trains.
Before the shooting, James, who is Black, posted dozens of videos online under the moniker “Prophet of Doom,” ranting about race, violence, his struggles with mental illness and a host of unnamed forces he claimed were out to get him.
In one 2019 video, James alluded to a pending conflict in his hometown, stating that “it’s going to be very interesting what happens in New York with me.” By that time, prosecutors allege, James was already in the process of planning the subway shooting.
When James pleaded guilty to the terrorism charges earlier this year, he said he only intended to cause serious bodily injury, not death.
His attorney, Mia Eisne-Grynberg, suggested that while James may have initially planned to kill people, he changed his mind in the heat of the moment.
“In a society where, sadly, we learn nearly every day that mass shooters who intend to kill readily achieve their goals, it is far more likely that Mr. James lacked that specific intent than that he simply failed in his mission,” Eisner-Grynberg wrote in a sentencing memo.
Referencing the defendant’s abusive childhood in the Bronx and his ongoing struggles with both alcoholism and paranoid schizophrenia, she added, “Mr. James is not evil. He is very, very ill.”
Prosecutors, however, say the trajectory of the bullets show that James aimed at the “center mass” of riders for maximum lethality. They say James only stopped firing his semi-automatic Glock pistol because the gun jammed.
James has spent the past 17 months held at the Metropolitan Detention Center without bail. He was previously forced to appear in court after refusing to leave his cell. On Tuesday, Judge Kuntz said U.S. Marshals should use all necessary force in order to produce James for the sentencing.
veryGood! (65)
Related
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- Titan submersible testimony to enter fourth day after panel hears of malfunction and discord
- Meet Your New Favorite Candle Brand: Emme NYC Makes Everything From Lychee to Durian Scents
- Former Bad Boy Rapper Shyne Barrow Says Sean Diddy Combs Destroyed His Life
- Daughter of Utah death row inmate navigates complicated dance of grief and healing before execution
- Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [QUANTUM PROSPERITY CONSORTIUM Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
- A couple found the Kentucky highway shooter’s remains by being bounty hunters for a week, they say
- How many points did Caitlin Clark score today? Rookie's minutes limited with playoffs looming
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Over two dozen injured on school field trip after wagon flips at Wisconsin apple orchard
Ranking
- Elon Musk’s Daughter Vivian Calls Him “Absolutely Pathetic” and a “Serial Adulterer”
- Whoa! 'Golden Bachelorette' first impression fails, including that runaway horse
- Kentucky judge shot at courthouse, governor says
- A night with Peter Cat Recording Co., the New Delhi band that’s found global appeal
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- As fire raged nearby, a tiny town’s zoo animals were driven to safety
- Rare G.K. Chesterton essay on mystery writing is itself a mystery
- California governor signs package of bills giving state more power to enforce housing laws
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Attorney Demand Letter Regarding Unauthorized Use and Infringement of [QUANTUM PROSPERITY CONSORTIUM Investment Education Foundation's Brand Name]
Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs joins list of Hollywood stars charged with sex crimes
Weeks after tragic shooting, Apalachee High reopens Monday for students
Jury selection set for Monday for ex-politician accused of killing Las Vegas investigative reporter
Michael Madsen requests divorce, restraining order from wife DeAnna following his arrest
'His future is bright:' NBA executives, agents react to Adrian Wojnarowski's retirement
Eva Mendes Admits She Felt Lost After Having Kids With Ryan Gosling