Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Watch: Pieces of Francis Scott Key Bridge removed from Baltimore port after collapse -Streamline Finance
SignalHub-Watch: Pieces of Francis Scott Key Bridge removed from Baltimore port after collapse
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:33:22
Officials have SignalHubbegun cutting up and removing sections of the collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore.
The bridge collapsed on March 26 after a massive cargo ship rammed into it, causing the structure to crumble into the Patapsco River and kill six workers who were patching potholes.
Authorities said the first major section of debris was removed from the debris field that blocked entry into the Port of Baltimore on Sunday night. A crane lifted a 200-ton piece of the bridge but Democratic Gov. Wes Moore said thousands of tons of debris remain in the river and above the ship.
Moore said authorities are still forming a plan to remove the debris and restore the port and talked about the logistical challenges of the job ahead on Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union.
He said: “We have a ship that is nearly the size of the Eiffel Tower that is now stuck within the channel that has the Key Bridge sitting on top of it."
Alternate route established for crucial trade routes
An 11-foot-deep temporary route marked with lights has been established in the port, according to Coast Guard Capt. David O'Connell. The alternate route represents part of a phased approach to opening the port's main channel, he said.
A 2,000-yard safety zone surrounds the bridge site for the safety of salvage workers, ships and the marine environment, according to the Unified Command, which O'Connell leads.
The temporary route will allow some marine traffic into Baltimore but no ships or people will be able to enter the safety zone without permission from the port., O'Connell said.
No timeline for debris cleanup
Moore has expressed urgency for the cleanup process he has not yet provided a timeline. He said the jobs of 8,000 workers on the docks have been directly impacted by the collapse.
"This is not just about Maryland. This is about our nation's economy," Moore said at a press conference on Saturday. "The port handles more cars and more farm equipment more than any other port inside this country."
The Biden Administration approved his initial request of $60 million to begin the cleanup process but he said much more is required to restore the bridge.
President Joe Biden will visit the site on Friday, White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre announced on Monday.
Contributing: John Bacon, Tom Vanden Brook, Jorge L. Ortiz
veryGood! (152)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Chiquis comes from Latin pop royalty. How the regional Mexican star found her own crown
- US inflation likely edged up last month, though not enough to deter another Fed rate cut
- As a Major California Oil Producer Eyes Carbon Storage, Thousands of Idle Wells Await Cleanup
- US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
- Aaron Taylor
- Horoscopes Today, December 11, 2024
- Michael Cole, 'The Mod Squad' and 'General Hospital' actor, dies at 84
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Austin Tice's parents reveal how the family coped for the last 12 years
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Fortnite OG is back. Here's what to know about the mode's release, maps and game pass.
- How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
- 'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Biden says he was ‘stupid’ not to put his name on pandemic relief checks like Trump did
- The Daily Money: Now, that's a lot of zeroes!
- Austin Tice's parents reveal how the family coped for the last 12 years
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
Alex Jones keeps Infowars for now after judge rejects The Onion’s winning auction bid
Trump says Kari Lake will lead Voice of America. He attacked it during his first term
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Friend for life: Mourning dog in Thailand dies at owner's funeral
Hougang murder: Victim was mum of 3, moved to Singapore to provide for family
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge