Current:Home > InvestFastexy:The Big 3 automakers now have record offers on the table. UAW says they can do more -Streamline Finance
Fastexy:The Big 3 automakers now have record offers on the table. UAW says they can do more
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:50:42
In the five weeks since autoworkers first walked out at Ford,Fastexy General Motors and Stellantis, the offers on the table have gotten dramatically richer.
Proposed wage increases over the 4.5-year contract began at 9% but they are now at 23% at all Big Three automakers, UAW president Shawn Fain said on Friday in his latest Facebook Live address.
In addition, Ford and GM now have improved cost of living adjustment offers, while all three automakers have offered to cut the number of years it takes to reach the top wage and to increase 401(k) retirement contributions.
But Fain said, there's still room to move.
"One thing we've been hearing over and over from these companies is how they've offered us record contracts," he said. "You know what? We agree. These are already record contracts, but they come at the end of decades of record decline. So it's not enough."
Still, Fain did not announce another expansion of the strike after last calling for 8,700 workers at a key Ford Kentucky plant to walk out.
Instead, he acknowledged the UAW auto workers who have been called on to strike under the union's plan to ramp up pressure on automakers by calling for walkouts at only some of the plants.
On social media, some members have begun to express impatience with the strike, sharing the stress that being out of work and living on the $500 a week strike pay has brought to their families.
In a message that appeared aimed at them, Fain warned against allowing the companies to fragment the members.
"Our ability to hold out, to hit the companies economically and to withhold our labor — this is our leverage and this is our path to victory," he said. "We have one tool and that's solidarity."
Offers from the automakers have gotten sweeter
Earlier in the day, GM provided details of its latest offer which also includes improvements for temporary employees, with the automaker saying they are willing to provide immediate conversion to permanent status for those with one year on the job.
In a statement, GM called the offer the most significant that it has ever proposed to the UAW, noting that the majority of the workforce would earn $84,000 a year by the end of the agreement.
"It is time for us to finish this process, get our team members back to work and get on with the business of making GM the company that will win and provide great jobs in the U.S. for our people for decades to come," the statement read.
Ford, which did not present the UAW with a new offer this week, had indicated last week that it had reached its limit on cost.
Earlier in the week, Ford executive chair Bill Ford warned that decisions made now will impact not just Ford and its ability to compete, but the future of the American automobile industry.
"Toyota, Honda, Tesla and others are loving this strike because they know the longer it goes on, the better it is for them," he said. "They will win and all of us will lose."
veryGood! (19675)
Related
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- EPA to investigate whether Alabama discriminated against Black residents in infrastructure funding
- Kenya’s foreign minister reassigned days after touchy comment on country’s police mission in Haiti
- Grimes files petition against Elon Musk to 'establish parental relationship' of their kids
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Watch livestream: Duane Davis to appear in court for murder charge in Tupac Shakur's death
- What to do with 1.1 million bullets seized from Iran? US ships them to Ukraine
- Ally Brooke Teases Fifth Harmony Reunion—But It's Not What You Think
- 9/11 hearings at Guantanamo Bay in upheaval after surprise order by US defense chief
- Tennessee Dem Gloria Johnson raises $1.3M, but GOP Sen. Marsha Blackburn doubles that in Senate bid
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Maren Morris Reveals the Real Reason She Left Country Music
- 'Surprise encounter': Hunter shoots, kills grizzly bear in self-defense in Idaho
- iCarly Revival Canceled After 3 Seasons on Paramount+
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'I am not a zombie': FEMA debunking conspiracy theories after emergency alert test
- Videos show litany of fire hazards at Iraqi wedding venue, expert says
- Why is the stock market down? Dow drops as Treasury yields near highest level since 2007
Recommendation
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
2 Palestinian militants killed in gunfight with Israeli troops in West Bank raid
Newcastle beats PSG 4-1 after Saudi project gets 2034 World Cup boost; Man City, Barcelona also win
First leopard cubs born in captivity in Peru climb trees and greet visitors at a Lima zoo
3 years after the NFL added a 17th game, the push for an 18th gets stronger
Ivy Queen on difficult road to reggaeton success, advice to women: 'Be your own priority'
EPA to investigate whether Alabama discriminated against Black residents in infrastructure funding
2 Palestinian militants killed in gunfight with Israeli troops in West Bank raid