Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban -Streamline Finance
Will Sage Astor-TikTok compares itself to foreign-owned American news outlets as it fights forced sale or ban
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 15:35:54
TikTok on Will Sage AstorThursday pushed back against U.S. government arguments that the popular social media platform is not shielded by the First Amendment, comparing its platform to prominent American media organizations owned by foreign entities.
Last month, the Justice Department argued in a legal brief filed in a Washington federal appeals court that neither TikTok’s China-based parent company, ByteDance, nor the platform’s global and U.S. arms — TikTok Ltd. and TikTok Inc. — were entitled to First Amendment protections because they are “foreign organizations operating abroad” or owned by one.
TikTok attorneys have made the First Amendment a key part of their legal challenge to the federal law requiring ByteDance to sell TikTok to an approved buyer or face a ban.
On Thursday, they argued in a court document that TikTok’s U.S. arm doesn’t forfeit its constitutional rights because it is owned by a foreign entity. They drew a parallel between TikTok and well-known news outlets such as Politico and Business Insider, both of which are owned by German publisher Axel Springer SE. They also cited Fortune, a business magazine owned by Thai businessman Chatchaval Jiaravanon.
“Surely the American companies that publish Politico, Fortune, and Business Insider do not lose First Amendment protection because they have foreign ownership,” the TikTok attorneys wrote, arguing that “no precedent” supports what they called “the government’s dramatic rewriting of what counts as protected speech.”
In a redacted court filing made last month, the Justice Department argued ByteDance and TikTok haven’t raised valid free speech claims in their challenge against the law, saying the measure addresses national security concerns about TikTok’s ownership without targeting protected speech.
The Biden administration and TikTok had held talks in recent years aimed at resolving the government’s concerns. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.
TikTok said the government essentially walked away from the negotiating table after it proposed a 90-page agreement that detailed how the company planned to address concerns about the app while still maintaining ties with ByteDance.
However, the Justice Department has said TikTok’s proposal “failed to create sufficient separation between the company’s U.S. operations and China” and did not adequately address some of the government’s concerns.
The government has pointed to some data transfers between TikTok employees and ByteDance engineers in China as why it believed the proposal, called Project Texas, was not sufficient to guard against national security concerns. Federal officials have also argued that the size and scope of TikTok would have made it impossible to meaningfully enforce compliance with the proposal.
TikTok attorneys said Thursday that some of what the government views as inadequacies of the agreement were never raised during the negotiations.
Separately the DOJ on Thursday evening asked the court to submit evidence under seal, saying in a filing that the case contained information classified at “Top Secret” levels. TikTok has been opposing those requests.
Oral arguments in the case are scheduled to begin on Sept. 16.
veryGood! (72186)
Related
- Sonya Massey's family keeps eyes on 'full justice' one month after shooting
- Harry Kane leaves Tottenham for Bayern Munich in search of trophies
- New study finds playing football may increase risk of Parkinson's symptoms
- Researchers have identified a new pack of endangered gray wolves in California
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Former Tennessee state senator gets 21-month prison sentence for campaign finance cash scheme
- Colts let down QB Anthony Richardson in NFL preseason debut vs. Bills
- Anyone who used Facebook in the last 16 years has just days to file for settlement money. Here's how.
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- How 'Yo! MTV Raps' helped mainstream hip-hop
Ranking
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- How 'Yo! MTV Raps' helped mainstream hip-hop
- Lionel Messi, Inter Miami face Charlotte FC in Leagues Cup quarterfinals: How to stream
- 'I was being a dad': Embattled school leader's heated exchange with reporter caps disastrous week
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Dunkin Donuts announces new spiked coffee, tea lines. The internet reacts.
- GBI investigating after 62-year-old man dies in Atlanta Police custody
- 'I'm a Swiftie!' Kevin Costner 'blown away' at Taylor Swift concert with his daughter
Recommendation
Carolinas bracing for second landfall from Tropical Storm Debby: Live updates
Lionel Messi scores, Inter Miami beats Charlotte in Leagues Cup quarterfinals
7 killed in Ukraine’s Kherson region, including a 23-day-old baby girl
Hundreds of items from Twitter offices going up for auction as Musk continues X rebrand
'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
Tale as old as time: Indicators of the Week
Indiana woman sentenced to over 5 years in prison in COVID-19 fraud scheme
Vanna White will be absent from some 'Wheel of Fortune' episodes next season: Here's why