Current:Home > MarketsSignalHub-Israel releases head of Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital after 7-month detention without charge -Streamline Finance
SignalHub-Israel releases head of Gaza's Al-Shifa hospital after 7-month detention without charge
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 17:33:33
Israel released the director of Gaza's main hospital on SignalHubMonday after holding him for seven months without charge or trial over allegations the facility had been used as a Hamas command center. He said he and other detainees were held under harsh conditions and tortured.
The decision to release Mohammed Abu Selmia, apparently taken in order to free up space in overcrowded detention centers, sparked uproar from across the political spectrum, with government ministers and opposition leaders saying he should have remained behind bars.
They reiterated allegations that he had played a role in Hamas' alleged use of Al-Shifa Hospital, which Israeli forces have raided twice since the start of the nearly nine-month war with Hamas. Abu Selmia and other health officials have repeatedly denied those accusations, and the fact that he was released without charge or trial was likely to raise further questions about them.
Abu Selmia was released back into Gaza along with 54 other Palestinian detainees, many of whom also alleged abuse. The allegations could not be independently confirmed but matched other accounts of Palestinians who have been held in Israeli custody.
"Our detainees have been subjected to all kinds of torture behind bars," Abu Selmia said at a news conference after his release. "There was almost daily torture."
He said guards broke his finger and caused his head to bleed during beatings, in which he said they used batons and dogs. He said the medical staff at different facilities where he was held had also taken part in the abuse "in violation of all laws."
Abu Selmia said some detainees had limbs amputated because of poor medical care.
There was no immediate response from the prison service, which has previously denied similar accusations.
Israeli forces raided Al-Shifa Hospital in November, alleging that Hamas had created an elaborate command and control center inside the facility. Abu Selmia and other staff denied the allegations and accused Israel of recklessly endangering thousands of patients and displaced people who were sheltering there.
The military uncovered a tunnel beneath Al-Shifa Hospital leading to a few rooms, as well as other evidence that militants had been present inside the medical center, but the evidence shown to CBS News and other outlets fell short of what it had claimed before the raid.
Abu Selmia was detained on Nov. 22 while escorting a U.N.-led evacuation of patients from the hospital. He said his detention was "politically motivated," adding that he had been brought to court at least three times but was never charged or allowed to meet with lawyers.
Israel has since raided several other Gaza hospitals on similar allegations, forcing them to shut down or dramatically reduce services even as tens of thousands have been wounded in Israeli strikes or sickened in the harsh conditions of the war. The army raided Al-Shifa a second time earlier this year, causing heavy destruction after saying that militants had regrouped there.
Hospitals can lose their protection under international law if combatants use them for military purposes.
The decision to release Abu Selmia drew harsh condemnations from government ministers and opposition leaders, as the various state organs responsible for detentions scrambled to shift blame. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, under intense pressure over his handling of the war, called it "a serious mistake and a moral failure" and ordered an investigation into the release.
Itamar Ben Gvir, Israel's far-right national security minister who controls the country's police and prison service, said the release of Abu Selmia and the others constituted "security negligence" and blamed the Defense Ministry. Opposition leader Yair Lapid said Abu Selmia's release was another sign of the government's "lawlessness and dysfunction."
Gallant's office released a brief statement saying the incarceration and release of prisoners is the responsibility of the prison service and the Shin Bet internal security agency. The prison service said the decision was made by the Shin Bet and the army, and released a document ordering his release that was signed by an army reserve general.
The Shin Bet said the government had decided — against its advice — to release detainees who were determined to be less of a threat in order to free up space.
"Though the Shifa Hospital Chief passed the risk assessment compared to other detainees — the matter will be internally reviewed," it said.
Since the start of the war, Israeli forces have detained thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the occupied West Bank, crowding military detention facilities and prisons. Many are being held without charge or trial in what is known as administrative detention.
Israel launched its offensive after Hamas' Oct. 7 attack, in which Palestinian militants killed some 1,200 civilians and took another 250 hostage. The war has killed at least 37,900 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry, which does not say how many were civilians or fighters.
Most of Gaza's population of 2.3 million have fled their homes, with many displaced multiple times. Israeli restrictions, ongoing fighting and the breakdown of public order have hindered the delivery of humanitarian aid, fueling widespread hunger and sparking fears of famine.
- In:
- Palestine
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Palestinians
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (3)
Related
- The Daily Money: Disney+ wants your dollars
- Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise’s Daughter Suri Drops Last Name for High School Graduation
- 1 body found, another man rescued by bystander in possible drowning incident on California river
- Indiana ex-state senator Randy Head elected chair of the state Republican Party by GOP committee
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Olympic champion Athing Mu’s appeal denied after tumble at US track trials
- Man accused of threatening lives of presidential candidates goes to trial
- Iowa receiver Kaleb Brown arrested for operating a vehicle under the influence, fake license
- How breaking emerged from battles in the burning Bronx to the Paris Olympics stage
- Judge sets $10 million bond for Venezuelan man accused of killing a 12-year-old Houston girl
Ranking
- Olympic men's basketball bracket: Results of the 5x5 tournament
- What’s causing the devastating flooding in the Midwest?
- Federal lawsuit challenges Georgia law that limits many people or groups to posting 3 bonds a year
- Alabama town’s first Black mayor, who had been locked out of office, will return under settlement
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- Alabama man accused of killings in 2 states enters not guilty pleas to Oklahoma murder charges
- Coffee recall: See full list of products impacted by Snapchill's canned coffee drink recall
- Cliffhanger Virginia race between Good and Trump-backed challenger is too close to call
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Utah primaries test Trump’s pull in a state that has half-heartedly embraced him
Dagestan, in southern Russia, has a history of violence. Why does it keep happening?
Treasure hunters say they recovered hundreds of silver coins from iconic 1715 shipwrecks off Florida
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
What’s causing the devastating flooding in the Midwest?
Hooters closing underperforming restaurants due to 'current market conditions'
Alec Baldwin attorneys argue damage to gun during testing was unacceptable destruction of evidence