Current:Home > ContactRohingya refugees mark the anniversary of their exodus and demand a safe return to Myanmar -Streamline Finance
Rohingya refugees mark the anniversary of their exodus and demand a safe return to Myanmar
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:28:59
COX’S BAZAR, Bangladesh (AP) — Tens of thousands of Rohingya refugees from Myanmar who live in sprawling camps in Bangladesh on Sunday marked the seventh anniversary of their mass exodus, demanding safe return to Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
The refugees gathered in an open field at Kutupalong camp in Cox’s Bazar district carrying banners and festoons reading “Hope is Home” and “We Rohingya are the citizens of Myanmar,” defying the rain on a day that is marked as “Rohingya Genocide Day.”
On Aug. 25, 2017, hundreds of thousands of refugees started crossing the border to Bangladesh on foot and by boats amid indiscriminate killings and other violence in Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
Myanmar had launched a brutal crackdown following attacks by an insurgent group on guard posts. The scale, organization and ferocity of the operation led to accusations from the international community, including the U.N., of ethnic cleansing and genocide.
Then-Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina ordered border guards to open the border, eventually allowing more than 700,000 refugees to take shelter in the Muslim-majority nation. The influx was in addition to the more than 300,000 refugees who had already been living in Bangladesh for decades in the wake of waves of previous violence perpetrated by Myanmar’s military.
Since 2017, Bangladesh has attempted at least twice to send the refugees back and has urged the international community to build pressure on Myanmar for a peaceful environment inside Myanmar that could help start the repatriation. Hasina also sought help from China to mediate.
But in the recent past, the situation in Rakhine state has become more volatile after a group called Arakan Army started fighting against Myanmar’s security forces. The renewed chaos forced more refugees to flee toward Bangladesh and elsewhere in a desperate move to save their lives. Hundreds of Myanmar soldiers and border guards also took shelter inside Bangladesh to flee the violence, but Bangladesh later handed them over to Myanmar peacefully.
As the protests took place in camps in Bangladesh on Sunday, the United Nations and other rights groups expressed their concern over the ongoing chaos in Myanmar.
Rohingya refugees gather in the rain to demand safe return to Myanmar’s Rakhine state as they mark the seventh anniversary of their mass exodus at their refugee camp at Kutupalong in Cox’s Bazar district, Bangladesh, Sunday, Aug. 25, 2024. (AP Photo/ Shafiqur Rahman)
Washington-based Refugees International in a statement on Sunday described the scenario.
“In Rakhine state, increased fighting between Myanmar’s military junta and the AA (Arakan Army) over the past year has both caught Rohingya in the middle and seen them targeted. The AA has advanced and burned homes in Buthidaung, Maungdaw, and other towns, recently using drones to bomb villages,” it said.
“The junta has forcibly recruited Rohingya and bombed villages in retaliation. Tens of thousands of Rohingya have been newly displaced, including several who have tried to flee into Bangladesh,” it said.
UNICEF said that the agency received alarming reports that civilians, particularly children and families, were being targeted or caught in the crossfire, resulting in deaths and severe injuries, making humanitarian access in Rakhine extremely challenging.
___
Alam reported from Dhaka.
veryGood! (18)
Related
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- Baseball world reacts to the death of MLB Hall of Famer and Giants' legend Willie Mays
- The Daily Money: Will Wells Fargo's 'rent card' pay off?
- Here's how to keep cool and stay safe during this week's heat wave hitting millions
- Boy who wandered away from his 5th birthday party found dead in canal, police say
- Los Angeles school district bans use of cellphones, social media by students
- California man charged with killing gay college student takes the stand
- How Rachel Lindsay “Completely Recharged” After Bryan Abasolo Breakup
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Trump's appeal of gag order in hush money case dismissed by New York's highest court
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Track legend Carl Lewis says no one can break Olympics record he holds with Jesse Owens
- NASCAR Cup Series 2024 season recap: All the results and schedule of upcoming races
- Billy Ray Cyrus Accuses Ex Firerose of Conducting Campaign to Isolate Him From Family
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Broken nose to force France's soccer star Kylian Mbappé to wear a mask if he carries on in UEFA championship
- Baseball world reacts to the death of MLB Hall of Famer and Giants' legend Willie Mays
- Who is part of the 'Wyatt Sicks'? These WWE stars appeared with Uncle Howdy on Raw
Recommendation
Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear ready to campaign for Harris-Walz after losing out for spot on the ticket
Officials release autopsy of Missouri student Riley Strain
Track legend Carl Lewis says no one can break Olympics record he holds with Jesse Owens
Sal Frelick saves day with home run robbery for final out in Brewers' win vs. Angels
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Russian state media say jailed U.S. soldier Gordon Black pleads partially guilty to theft charge
Prince William Attends Royal Ascot With Kate Middleton's Parents Amid Her Cancer Treatments
Juneteenth also serves as a warning. Millions of Americans want to go backwards.